As the word “Mental Health” describes itself an essential but yet so ignored issue as well. Mental health is a state of cognitive and behavioral well bieng which are the key factors for social wellbeing and personal life ,however people often take this issue lightly which affects their productivity,relation towards the environment and people ,own health too. Its all about how people think , feel and behave to situations or cope up with life and its circumstances. Mental health is not just being the absence of mental disorders but more about happiness and the confidence they posses for themselves .It does not means the mental issue would lead a person towards living depressed in their life or they can not comprehence and communicate to people. A large portion of people with mental health disorders have more than one condition at a time , It is important to note that a good health depends on a delicate balance of factors and that several elements of life and the world at large can work together to contribute to disorders. The mentioned factors may contribute to mental health disruptions :
- Continuous social and economic pressure having limited financial or being dependent to the family belonging to marginalized are at high risk of developing mental issues . Financial independence plays a major role in youth as it signifies living at own terms and freedom towards various things as well as per their point of view . Researchers found that being a female increased the risk of low mental health issues by 3.96 times . People with weak economic status also scores highest for mental health conditions and does not think its a problem or matter of concern.
- Biological factors A research suggests that family history can increase the likelihood of mental conditions as certain genes and gene variants put a person at higher risk . Childhood trauma or incidents plays a major role in making personality and perception of a person .Mental health conditions such as stress,depression and anxiety may develop due to underlying life changing physical health problems such as cancer.diabetes,and chronic pain.
Common mental health disorders
The most common types of mental illness are as follows :
- Anxiety Disorders
- Mood disorders
- Schizophrenia disorders
It is one of the most common type of mental illness people with these conditions have severe fear or anxiety ,which relates to certain objects or situations most people with anxiety disorders will try to avoid exposure to whatever triggers their anxiety . Examples of anxiety disorders include :
- Generalized anxiety disorder – it affects the persons daily living and life that includes various physical symptoms such as muscular pain ,restlessnes,fatigue,interrupted sleep. person with GAD feel anxiety keeping appointments or even while going to place and certain time approaching the place or situation .
- Panic disorders – people with regular panic disorders experience panic attacks which involve sudden terror or sense of imminent disaster and death.
- Phobias – there are several types of phobias such as simple phobia,social phobia,agoraphobia . Phobias are personal and often not known by others.
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
People with OCD have obsession or strong urge to do repetitive things or correcting things into a particular pattern or way .Such as washing hands ,correcting the lines ,correcting objects at its place in a certain way or pattern to be placed .
Post traumatic stress Disorder
PTSD can occur in a person involving or witnessing a cruel or deeply stressful traumatic events . In this a person a person feels scared and afraid of things they have no control over what is happening . PTSD affects a persons mindset to be indulge and do certain things they witnessed or they have experienced.
people with this conditions have various mood changes .examples of mood disorder includes :
- Major Depression – An individual having major depression experiences low energy or lack of interest over things they once like to enjoy.They feel prolong period of sadness with or without a valid reason to be.
- Bipolar disorder – People with bipolar disorder experiences changes in mood, energy level and interest in doing the same things. mania can be defined here as the high interest or energy while doing the certain things or activities.
- seasonal affective disorder – Reduced interest or energy during different season or weather .
People with schizophrenia disorder have hallucinations,thought disorders ,withdrawal ,lack of interest and motivation, flat or inappropriate mood. Signs of schizophrenia typically develops between the age of 16 – 30 years . the individual have appear fragmented and finds hard to process information .they believe in there hallucination and lives it as real . Schizophrenia is neither a single illnes and nor a group illness but a very complex illness.
As there is no physical tests examing a person going through a mental illness but one should must look for the early sign such as :
- lack of interest they enjoyed before
- Withdrawal or denying of reality
- Avoiding friend ,family and close friends .lack of communication.
- Problems to cope with life problems and unable to do daily work or routine.
- sleeping too much or too little.
- Eating too much or too little.
- Feeling hopeless and consistently having low energy.
- displaying negative emotions and being confused
- using ,mood liffters such as alcohol or nicotine more frequently.
There is no particular treatment for people with mental illness as each and every person have different signs and symptoms so does a single traetment or medication does not work for all as same.But there are various things which may be helpful are:
- Medications – There are few drugs which works by elevating certain chemicals in brain such as serotinin which lifts the mood and help the individual to work and live normal in daily basis but however they don not treat the root cause. Some people takes prescribed medicines such as antidepresants,antipsychotics and anxiolytic drugs.
- PSYCHOTHERAPY – In this your doctor try to rule out the cause and work on it so that it can lower the risk of isolation and self harm as well . In this talking therapies are considered for helping the individual and ensuring them to be normal and safe.
Self – Help
A person coping with mental illness need to bring change or alter lifestyle to facilitate wellness .There should be change in daily routine and should be open to new changes and ways of doing it. Maintaining a well nutritious diet and lowering alcohol, nicotine . Opening up to the closed ones and family for the problems and stress may be helpful ,discussing the problems with partner causing insecurities to be resolved .Getting a hobby or interest and trying new things. People with mental illness such as an anxiety or depressive disorder may be benefit from relaxation techniques,which include deep breathing,meditation and mindfulness.
For help Take your appointments.